Friday, August 15, 2008

Broken Oaths

i just read an editorial by Mickey Edwards posted on June 16 at The Huffington Post called "A True Litmus Test For Reelection". i about jumped out of my seat. Listen to what Mickey says about Congressmen's oath:

It is important to note what it is they are swearing to "support and defend." Not the President. Not a political party. It is also important to note against whom they are vowing to protect the Constitution: its -- that is, the Constitution's -- enemies, no matter whether they live in caves in Afghanistan or in mansions on Pennsylvania Avenue.
i eagerly searched this blog, thinking i had written something similar, because fidelity to the Constitution has become my litmus test for re-electing government officials. Unfortunately, i hadn't posted on that, but rather had used in a couple emails to friends. Here's a bit from a June 6 email to my grandmother:
Here is the oath a President takes upon entering office: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

i do not trust McCain nor Obama to do fulfill that oath. Why? Because they have already broken the oath taken as Senators: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. (So help me God.)"
Had that been the litmus test for at least those who consider themselves constitutional, conservative Republicans, Ron Paul would have been the Presidential nominee.

Pop quiz- what is the oath taken by Supreme Court Justices? By servicemen? See a pattern here? What are they sworn to protect? What are they not sworn to protect?

No comments: